Wonky Muse
Wonky Muse

February 10, 2005

What Social Security is About

This reader who wrote Josh Marshall summed it up quite well [emphasis mine]:

Dear Josh-

Thank you for everything you are doing to shatter and dispel the falsehoods coming out of the administration about Social Security. I'm a 53 year old who began working at age 16. My mom, widowed at age 36 with 3 young kids, brought us up to believe that in America, you could strive toward your dreams and carve out your own future. She returned to work, of course, but could not have kept our family together without the benefits she received from Social Security and my Dad's veteran's benefits - he was a U.S. Marine who fought on the beaches of Iwo Jima.

I chose a path that allowed me independence in my life. I've been an independent contractor in my profession throughout my career, as has my husband. We pay our own health insurance premiums (currently $967 / month Oxford Health Plans, dig that!) make yearly contributions to our own IRA's, own our house, pay our taxes, and willingly pay our SSA contributions.

Mr. Bush wants to denigrate the service and the sacrifices of my father and my mother by saying their children don't deserve to have the social contract America made with us honored. I know deeply and personally how life can change in an instant, and if anyone wants to talk to me about it, I'll be glad to give them my two cents.

We are facing a galvanizing moment in America as we decide if we are to be a country that understands and lives the humanistic concept of being one's brother's keeper, or if we decide instead to adopt a ruthless, me first, sink or swim approach to dealing with our citizenry.

I pray with all my heart we choose the former.


posted at 7:25 PM by Wonky Muse

+Save/Share | |




ABOUT

"Sapere Aude."
(Dare to Know)
-- Epistularum Liber Primus, Horace

Wonk (noun): def. A political nerd. Know spelled backwards.

Wonky Muse is the other Filipino American female political blogger. The sane, liberal one.


RECENT POSTS

  • AARP Takes a Stand
  • Debt Ownership Society
  • Bankrupt in 2042?
  • The Argentinian Meltdown
  • Privatization Abroad
  • The Real Agenda
  • Familiar Refrain
  • The SOTU is...
  • Chicken Little
  • Window Dressing

  • BLOG ARCHIVES




    BLOGROLL

    Atrios
    BlogRevolution
    Cursor
    Daily Kos
    Hullabaloo
    Firedoglake
    Glenn Greenwald
    Informed Comment
    Memeorandum
    Political Animal
    Talking Points Memo
    The Carpetbagger Report
    The Huffington Post
    Tapped

    WONKY READS



    WEB WONKY MUSE

    TWITTER UPDATES

    follow me on Twitter



    MISC



    Subscribe with Bloglines

    free hit counter script
    image: le sarcophage des muses, musée du louvre.
    site design: wonky muse.